Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mini Chest of Drawers Tutorial

Last week I said I would work on a tutorial for this fun little drawer set so here goes! I hope you can understand this. If you have any questions please contact me.

First I cut 6 pieces of decorative paper (white on the back side) to 5"x5" and scored at 1.5" on all 4 sides on the pattern side.

I used my 1.5" circle punch (1" punch works great, too!) to punch a 1/2 circle out of the front of the drawer. I also cut flaps along the score lines. Look closely at the photo below for placement of these. Adhere to flaps to create the drawers. Remember to fold away from your scores. Use your bone folder or something to give you a nice crisp fold.

Now for the drawer holders. Cut one 8 3/16" x 5 1/2" of white (or whatever) cardstock for each 2 drawers made. You can make this any height you want but I rather like the 6 drawer (3 high design). Score each piece at 2" on all 4 sides.

Here you can see me using my trimmer to cut the flaps so I can create the holders. Again, remember to fold away from your scores. Again, use your bone folder for nice crisp folds.

After adhering the flaps you can start assembling your holders together. Use some good adhesive! I put the drawers in the holders for more firmness while adhering these together. The drawers may fit a bit tight.

Now start decorating! I added a back to the top by folding some cardstock cut to the width of the "chest" and adhering to the top and back. Just play!! Go back to my original post (dated April 2) for ideas. I did cover the sides and back to hide the seams. I would love to see what you come up with! If you have a blog and post please link to me and provide me with your blog address so I can have others see your creation. If you don't have a blog how about taking a picture and emailing it to me and I'll post your creation here! Have fun and get crazy!

3 comments:

Deb Grady said...

Cute project...love that paper!

Trisha said...

Great project. I was thinking about modifying it to use a shoebox as the chest. Love it.

KellyRae said...

Great tut! I like the notch you punch for the drawer pulls.